Family Law: Understanding Marriage Annulment

The annulment of a marriage is different from separation or divorce. Basically, when an annulment is granted, the marriage will be completely void. In simple terms, this means that the judge has decided that there was no actual legal union. In a divorce, the marriage is terminated or dissolved, while separation refers to the situation where a married couple stops living together or in a domestic relationship. Therefore, if you would like to apply for an annulment as opposed to a divorce, you should understand the legal process. Here is a short description of the most critical aspects of marriage annulment.

Acceptable Reasons for Annulment

Marriage is a solemn legal union, so you must meet specific conditions to be eligible for an annulment. You can apply for this invalidation if you were forced to marry or even pressured or tricked. Marriage must be completely voluntary, and any type of coercion is considered to be a criminal offence. If the person you are married to is identified as a close relative such as a sibling, you will be granted the cancellation. In addition, if one or both of the married individuals was underage, still married, or unaware of the proceedings during the ceremony, the court will accept an application for the annulment.

Application for Annulment

You can apply for the annulment if you are an Australian citizen or a permanent resident. You are also eligible if the other party meets the same criteria. Generally, you will have to file the application through the Family Court. When launching your application, you will be charged a filing fee by the court. If you feel that you cannot afford the requested amount, you can apply for an exemption. Fee reduction and even refunds are also offered to individuals who can demonstrate financial hardship or present special concession cards.

Service of Annulment Documents

After completing your application, you will need to ensure that the other party is served with the documents. This means that you should ensure that your former partner has received the paperwork so that they will be aware of the pertinent proceedings. There are certain regulations set by the family court with regard to the service of such documents. For example, you are not allowed to personally serve your ex-partner with the paperwork by hand. If you wish to have these delivered by hand, you must engage a person of legal age to perform the task. Alternatively, you can serve by post.

For the best outcome, consider engaging a family lawyer for legal guidance.

About Me

Human Resources: How to Hire and Fire

Hello, my name is James. I own a medium-sized company. When I first started out, it was just me and my tools. However, as the company became more successful, I had to start hiring other people. At first, most of the people who came to work for me were old friends, so I didn't worry about contracts. We just shook hands and had a beer. This worked fine until I had a dispute over pay with one of my employees. I got in touch with an HR consultant who helped me to put the correct HR procedures in place to protect myself and my business. I decided to start this blog to advise others about how to hire and fire staff.

Latest Posts

17 April 2024
Conveyancing involves the legal transfer of ownership from one party to another and ensures that all legal requirements are met throughout the process

6 November 2023
You might find yourself wondering why you would ever need a solicitor. There are a lot of reasons. From setting up a new business, tackling a complica

23 June 2023
Buying virgin land can be an exciting prospect. It promises countless possibilities for development, whether you're planning to build the home of your